Making Tax Digital for VAT
With the introduction of HMRC’s Making Tax Digital Plan, Absolute have developed revolutionary bridging software to enable individuals, partnerships, companies and agents (or indeed anyone that is required to) to submit VAT data in the required MTD format to HMRC.
Excel and MTD Compatible software
The key benefits of the Absolute Excel VAT Filer are:
- it is one of the easiest to use pieces of software on the market;
- it is fully MTD compliant, linking directly between your spreadsheets and HMRC’s MTD platform;
- you can use it straight from Excel and no other accounts software is required;
- it tells you how to fix rejected VAT returns from HMRC using its ‘Knowledgebase’ function;
- it comes with free, unlimited technical support by email; and
- it is one of the most cost effective MTD for VAT solutions on the market!
Our handy FAQ section gives a breakdown of the Excel VAT Filer’s functionality.
To see how simple our new Excel VAT Filer is, play the video below:
Ongoing product enhancements
We launched Excel VAT Filer in the summer of 2018. Since then we have sold licences to over 17000 users who in turn have filed over 700,000 VAT returns. We regularly ask for feedback from our users to make sure the software is performing as they need it to.
As a result, we have amended the spreadsheets to make the process of filing VAT returns quicker and smoother. Plus, we have added the following updates:
The 'Knowledgebase' to handle VAT return rejections
- This function sets out Excel VAT Filer queries and HMRC VAT return rejections. Any issues which arise when making your VAT return submissions can now be easily addressed, enabling you to successfully submit your VAT return.
The 'Client Portal' to give you more visibility and control over your licences and submissions.
Within the software you can now:
- check any VAT submissions that have been made to HMRC;
- reprint any successful submission receipts from HMRC;
- confirm how many licences you have left and when they expire;
- place your own orders via the Client Portal, 24/7, and the licences will be automatically added to your account;
- create your own username and password for the spreadsheet;
- generate your own login details for your client portal;
- check and amend your own account details;
- add multiple contacts/usernames and passwords to your account enabling you to track who is making submissions and when;
- unblock your own account if it has become locked due to incorrect username and password being entered too many times;
- receive automatic licence reminders (30 days and then 14 days) prior to when your licenses are due to expire.
A demonstration of how to access and use the Client Portal can be seen in the video below:
NB. All of these product enhancements are provided FREE and as part of your annual licence.
“The Absolute bridging software is so very easy to use, with complete instructions given. If I can do it, anybody can!”
Melissa Collins - D A Collins Scaffolding Ltd
The future of bridging software
We frequently hear rumours (usually started by our competitors!) that bridging software is not a viable long term option for complying with MTD. This is wrong and very misleading.
HMRC have told us unequivocally that spreadsheets combined with using bridging software will continue to be an acceptable form of compliance for both MTD for VAT and MTD for Income Tax.
As a user of our Absolute Excel VAT Filer bridging software, please be reassured that you can continue to use spreadsheets to file your MTD VAT returns and that HMRC have no plans to change this decision in the future.
In fact, we are working closely with HMRC to fast track the development of our new MTD for Income Tax (MTD ITSA) bridging software.
On a separate note, detailed off-software calculations, such as partial exemptions, remain exempt from digital journey obligations.
Copy and paste function
Since April 2021 MTD software which uses a ‘copy and paste’ function to submit VAT returns is no longer acceptable. This does NOT apply to the Excel VAT Filer which uses digital links which are locked into the software. Excel VAT Filer therefore meets all HMRC MTD filing requirements.
It’s never too late to change
If, having purchased another brand of MTD compatible software, you are beginning to regret that decision, it’s not too late to move to Absolute’s Excel VAT Filer.
Recent customers have told us they have moved to Absolute because their initial MTD software was:
- very complicated to set up and use;
- very expensive;
- requiring too much time in training and supporting staff (and clients) in how to use the software and perhaps most worryingly;
- no longer free, as the price increased significantly upon renewal.
If you’re concerned about moving to Absolute’s Excel VAT Filer bridging software, please call our Sales Team on 0330 0579651. They will be happy to talk you through the process and hopefully alleviate any fears you have.
"Highly recommend this product, as it does exactly what is required by HMRC but without inflated prices unlike many other software providers."
Jan Douglas - Jan Douglas Bookkeeping.
Pricing starts from as little as £40 + VAT for up to 10 traders (unique VAT numbers) for a 12 month period. The licence period activates when you file your first successful submission to HMRC.
Absolute's Excel VAT Filer is a standalone Excel based product that can be set up in minutes, no lengthy installations required. The spreadsheet simply requires a user name and password and saving to your desktop.
The program can also be linked to any existing spreadsheets you may have so that the information is directly imported into boxes 1-9 ready for you to click ‘submit’. It comes with free unlimited support via email from our experienced support team.
Please note that the Absolute Excel VAT Filer will run on Windows 7 or later operating systems and only Excel 2010 or later versions. We also have a MAC compatible version that will run on the latest MAC operating system running Excel for MAC 2016 or later. The software will not run on Apple Numbers.
For more information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our Sales Team on 0330 0579651.